Clarion Housing has invested heavily in improving the fire safety of buildings to ensure our residents safety. Approximately £9 million was spent on improving fire safety in our buildings in the 17/18 financial year, and we plan to spend around £20 million in the 18/19 financial year to continue our work programmes.
Works undertaken in 17/18:
- Comprehensive inspection of cladding systems following the Grenfell tragedy
- Installation of new fire doorsets in our blocks of flats
- Compartmentation* works to all buildings over 10 storeys in height (22 sites)
- Installation of new fire alarm systems to over 350 converted street property buildings
- Fire safety work to 22 sites of our sheltered and supported housing
- Bespoke fire safety information for each building 6 storeys and above
- Published Fire Risk Assessments for buildings which are 6 storeys or higher
Planned works for 18/19:
- Compartmentation work on all buildings over 6 storeys in height (116 sites)
- Installation of 850 new fire alarm systems in converted street properties
- Remedial works to a small number of higher risk cladding systems
- Fire safety work (passive & active) to over 100 sheltered & supported housing sites
- Develop our response to the new government guidelines on fire safety.
* the division of a building into cells to prevent fires passing from one flat to another.