£17,230 per year
40 hours per week
As a Trust apprentice, you will complete your apprenticeship training both on and off-the-job, including regular attendance at our chosen training provider. All college related travel costs are paid for by the Trust.
Whilst on-the-job, you will work with supportive colleagues to get the best out of your apprenticeship experience. We regularly arrange placements for you to build your portfolio, as well as opportunities to work on projects. This involves working across our network, so you may be working away from home. No two days are the same!
About the role
You will be working outside, carrying out maintenance and repair works under guidance from our construction teams. You’ll learn how to work as part of a team by contributing towards the delivery of the annual winter stoppage programme when much of our stonework is undertaken. During your time, you will also learn about the importance of the works we do, lock gate changes, patching and repairs.
- A wide range of maintenance and repair works across our network including stonemasonry
- It’s important to realise that although this is a stone masonry apprenticeship this is just one part of the role. However, we will provide you with opportunities within our yards and workshops, and placements internally and externally to really hone your skills
- As our repairs often involve sensitive heritage or environment solutions, you will get exposure to this. We’ll provide you with some basic conservations and heritage knowledge and you will get the opportunity to hear from our heritage advisors
- Undertaking work in a productive and efficient manner delivering the work to the correct standard and agreed programme
- Ensuring that inclusion and diversity are integrated into all aspects of Trust life and promoting inclusion by challenging behaviour, practices, actions, or decisions that are counter to the objectives of the Trust
- Displaying the Trust values and behaviours always
What skills and abilities do I need to have?
- We look for candidates who live and breathe our values; Caring, Open, Local, Inclusive and Excellence and have a willingness to learn, enthusiasm and dedication. We are looking for potential
- This is predominantly an outdoor role. We love the outdoors at Canal & River Trust, and it's so important that as a member of the team, you enjoy all weathers too!
What qualifications do I need to have?
Ideally grade A-C or grade 9-4 in Maths, English and Science GCSE (or equivalent) already achieved or on target to achieve
What qualifications or experience would potentially help me more?
- An interest or connection to the waterways network or heritage assets
- Any general construction experience, potentially through hobbies, work experience or volunteering