Skip to content

Decants: a guide to temporary accommodation


Occasionally residents need to move in to temporary accommodation because of a problem that needs repairing at their home. This is normally because of an event such as a fire, flood, or major unplanned repair. This move is often referred to as a “decant”.

In 2020, over 400 of our residents decanted to temporary accommodation. Sometimes a move is just for a short period, sometimes for longer, depending on the work needed to the home.

If you have to move out it’s because your home is unsafe. We’ll need to ensure that it’s safe to live in before you can move back in.

Some repairs can be very disruptive and may involve turning off your water or electricity. This means it isn't possible to do the work around you.

If you're moving out due to an incident such as a fire or flood, you'll often have to move at short notice. If you're moving for programmed work, you'll be given a date by which we will aim to rehouse you.

Moving out in these situations can be difficult, but we’ll minimise your disruption and keep you updated throughout.

Your specific decant process will depend on your individual situation and needs, but below you’ll find guidance on what to expect and how we can help you.

However, if the need to move is because you damaged or neglected your home, we do reserve the right to decline requests for temporary accommodation or financial assistance.


What accommodation will I move to?

The best place to move to often depends on your individual circumstances and how long you need to move out for.

For short periods, this may mean staying with friends or family, or staying in a hotel or bed and breakfast.

For longer decants, it may mean living in an alternative Clarion home, a local council property, or a private rented home.

Will I have to move more than once?

Sometimes, if a home has been damaged by something like a fire, you may first need to move to short-term accommodation while we assess the damage or find you longer-term accommodation.

Will my temporary home be the same as my current home?

The range of available homes can be limited. So it’s not always possible to guarantee that the size or type of home will be the same as your current one. And it might be in a different area. However, we always try to ensure the home you move to meets your needs.

How many properties will I be offered?

Because of the limited availability of homes, you’ll usually only be offered one property.

Will my temporary home be furnished?

No. If you’ve lost possessions in a fire, flood, or similar event, you’ll need to make a contents insurance claim. We may be able to refer you to local support agencies or charities where necessary, and can also offer help and guidance through our Clarion Futures Guideline team.

Will I have to sign a new tenancy agreement?

If you move to another Clarion home, you’ll be asked to sign a decant tenancy giving you legal permission to occupy the property. For all other purposes, you’ll be continue to be the tenant of your current home for the period of the move.


Will Clarion help with moving costs?

Yes, we can help with the cost of moving. This can cover things such as removals, carpets and connecting household appliances or broadband.

Will Clarion help with costs if I stay with family or friends?

Yes, we can help with the cost and inconvenience of living temporarily with family or friends. If your family or friends don’t live in your local area, we’ll also consider paying for reasonable travel costs.

Will Clarion help with meal costs if I move into hotel or bed and breakfast?

We’ll try to find you accommodation that provides meals. If this isn’t possible, you’ll receive £15 per day for each adult and £10 for each child for the cost of your meals.

What if I can't afford to pay costs and reclaim the money?

If you think you'll experience hardship by having to meet any costs up front, please contact us.

Who’s responsible for the bills at my temporary home?

You’ll be responsible for bills such as electricity, gas, or phone calls.

Will I have to pay rent?

You won’t pay rent for your temporary accommodation. But you will have to continue paying rent for your normal permanent home.

Contact us

If you’d like to find out more about moving in to temporary housing, please contact us.

Contact us

Leaseholders and shared owners

We don’t normally provide financial assistance or book accommodation for leaseholders and shared owners who need to temporarily move out. In these situations, you’d usually be expected to recover your costs from your insurance provider.