Would you like to become a self-employed childminder?
Have you thought about a job in a nursery, pre-school or before/after school or school holiday club?
Come along to our free information event* to find out about this unique work experience and training package opportunity. Discuss your next steps with Jobcentre Plus, Basingstoke College of Technology, housing associations and local childcare providers.
For tenants or job seekers please speak to your housing association employment officer or work coach for further details.
Thursday 3 October 2019, 10.30am – 12.30pm
Room 4, Café 1759, Chieftain House, Challenger Place, Bordon, GU35 0FP
*Information session places can be booked online at Childcare Sector-Based Work Academy Information Event (Password: SfYC)
Frequently asked questions
What is a childcare sector-based work academy?
This is a collaboration between training providers, Jobcentre Plus, housing associations, childcare providers and Hampshire County Council to provide an opportunity for people to access free training* and work experience in the childcare and early years sector.
There is an on-going requirement to have new people enter the childcare sector; with many nurseries, pre-schools and out of school providers in Hampshire needing to develop their workforces.
Many parents require flexible childcare to meet their working patterns which can be also be provided by self-employed or agency childminders.
Childcare sector-based work academies are being set up across the County to meet these needs.
What can I gain from the academy?
You will have the opportunity to:
- achieve a nationally recognised NCFE Level 2 certificate (Introduction to) Caring for Children and Young People qualification
- achieve an Emergency Paediatric First Aid certificate
- have a work experience placement with an Ofsted registered good or outstanding rated childcare and early years provider
- have experience of a childcare related job interview
- utilise the support that the academy partners can provide for returning to work, self-employment or further training (e.g. help with travel, childcare, etc)
- learn new and develop existing skills and add value to your CV
What is expected of me?
To benefit from the childcare sector-based academy, you will be required to:
- visit the information event to ask questions and if the academy is for you, make plans to attend the next course being delivered
- attend the introductory session at the local training establishment to sign up for the course and secure a work experience placement
- complete the First Aid and Level 2 Introduction training over a two-week period
- carry out work experience with the appointed childcare provider (ensuring that there is a prior agreement for the hours to be worked)
- attend the childcare work interview and provide feedback to the training provider on the whole academy experience and next steps.
The important stuff
* The training is available free of charge to those in receipt of qualifying benefits. If you are working you still may be able to access this training – please speak to your training provider, housing association officer or Jobcentre work coach.
Anyone working with children requires an enhanced check which is carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to make sure children are safe.
How do I get involved?
- If you are a housing tenant speak to your local housing association employment officer.
- If you are in receipt of welfare benefits speak to your local Jobcentre work coach.
- If you are currently doing work experience or volunteering for a childcare provider (nursery, pre-school, childminder, out of school club, etc) speak to the provider, or Services for Young Children, Hampshire County Council.