This translation has been provided by Google Translate. Translation disclaimer

Bonfire and firework safety 

Please be aware that bonfires and fireworks are not allowed on Clarion Housing communal grounds.


For everyone’s safety we recommend that you attend an organised event, however, if you are planning to have a bonfire or fireworks at home, please follow the guidelines below:

  • Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114 from reputable suppliers
  • Follow the instructions on each firework
  • Light them at arm’s length, using a taper
  • Stand well back
  • Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode
  • Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
  • Always supervise children around fireworks
  • Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
  • Never give sparklers to a child under five, keep a bucket of water nearby to dispose of sparklers safely
  • Keep pets indoors
  • Don’t let fireworks off after 11pm
  • Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks


Building a bonfire:

  • Keep bonfires away from structures and buildings and preferably in a designated bonfire container
  • Build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees
  • Only burn dry material. Damp material causes more smoke
  • Check there are no cables, like telephone wires, above the bonfire
  • Don’t use petrol or paraffin to get the fire going, it may get out of control quickly

Bonfire safety tips

Once the bonfire is lit, make sure you: 

  • Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby, in case of emergencies
  • Don’t leave the bonfire unattended
  • Keep children and pets away from the bonfire
  • Don’t throw any fireworks into the fire
  • Don’t burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint. These may produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury
  • Spray the embers with water (once the bonfire as died down) to stop it re-igniting 

For further information please visit: The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents website.


Further information on fire safety in your home.