Keeping children safe from fire
- Keep matches, lighters and candles out of children’s sight and reach.
- Never leave children alone in the home.
- Discuss fire safety with your children and make a family escape plan – so everyone knows what to do in the event of a fire.
Make your home fire-safe for children:
- Keep your escape route clear of toys and other obstructions.
- Don’t let children play with electrical items. Use plug guards in sockets and unplug appliances that children could trip over.
- Always use a childproof fire guard, and don’t let children play or leave toys near a fire or heater.
- Take care when cooking - never leave children alone in the kitchen. Turn pan handles inwards to avoid them being knocked off.
- Use child locks on cupboards that store anything that could be used to start a fire.
More information aimed at children can be found on: www.firefacts.org