Christmas light decorations
The following advice should be used in conjunction with other sections of the site, such as the candle safety page, due to the fact that candles are also used more at this time of year, also electrical safety and advice on testing your smoke alarm.
- Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.
- Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch light easily.
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach. Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Never overload electrical sockets. Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
- Store fireworks safely. Never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Take care around open fireplaces as clothes may catch fire.
- Take time to check on older relatives and neighbors this Christmas as they are at greater risk from fire.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly and only remove batteries when replacing them.
- Most fires start in the kitchen. Avoid leaving a cooker unattended. Avoid cooking when under the influence of alcohol.
- Make sure your family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency.
- Make sure cigarettes are put out properly.
For more information visit RoSPA