This translation has been provided by Google Translate. Translation disclaimer



Electric blanket safety

 

To help you stay safe and warm in winter, and to help reduce the number of unsafe electric blankets being used in homes, we recommend that you follow these simple steps when purchasing, using, storing and disposing of your electric blanket.

Do:

  • Read and follow all the manufacturer's instructions before use.
  • Check the manufacturer's instructions before attempting to wash your blanket.
  • Check your blanket before you first use it and then carry out a regular visual check of the blanket to make sure it's intact, with no visible signs of damage such as wires exposed or scorch marks.
  • If the fuse in the plug requires changing, make sure you only use the correct fuse, usually a 3 amp BS 1362 fuse.

Don't:

  • Use the blanket while it is still folded, rucked or creased.
  • Use a hot water bottle at the same time as using your electric blanket.
  • Touch the blanket with wet hands or feet.
  • Insert or use pins to hold the blanket in place on the bed.
  • Use the under-blankets on adjustable beds, or, if used on an adjustable bed, check that the blanket and cord do not become trapped or rucked, for example in hinges.
  • Use an electric blanket on the bed of a helpless person, an infant or a person who may have a condition that makes them insensitive to heat.
  • Allow the appliance to be used by young children unless the controls have been pre-set by a parent/carer or that you are satisfied that the child is able to use the appliance safely.
  • Allow people with pacemakers to use heated bedding all night.

Your blanket should be replaced with a new one if:

  • The fabric is worn or frayed.
  • Scorch marks or discoloration are visible on the fabric.
  • Wires are visible or poking through the fabric.
  • There is damage to the flexible cord between the supply plug and the control and/or the control to the blanket.
  • The control is making a buzzing sound when switched on and/or is giving off a smell.
  • The connector fitted to the blanket is damaged or over-heating.

Find further information on fire safety in your home.