Electrical fire is the top cause of accidental fire in UK homes, reduce the risk:
- Switch off your electrical appliances when you’re not using them
- Always follow the manufacturer guidance for electric items – this includes using correct bulbs for light fittings
- Never use damaged plugs, cables or sockets. Make visual checks of your electrics and appliances to ensure they are in good working order. Learn more about what to look for here.
Safe product use:
- Buy electronic items from trustworthy sources and use according to the manufacturer’s guidance
- Only use the chargers supplied with your mobile or device and don’t leave charging overnight
- Only use bulbs with the recommended wattage for your light fittings
- Don’t use mains powered appliances in bathrooms
- Keep electrical appliances and leads away from water
- Don’t run cables from electrical appliances (including extension leads) under carpets or rugs
- Don’t use the top of the microwave for extra storage
- Keep combustible materials away from electric sources (fuse box/electricity meter)
Further information on fire safety in your home.