Extension lead and plug safety
Overloading sockets can cause electrical fires.
- It is safest to use one plug in each socket and switch off your electrical appliances when you’re not using them.
- Never use damaged plugs, cables or sockets (link to electrical safety content).
- If you need an adaptor use a multi-socket extension lead.
Extension lead safety:
- Do not overload the extension lead and use only good quality Kite-marked and CE marked adaptors from reputable sources.
- Keep the lead uncoiled to avoid overheating.
- Position the lead to avoid trip hazards, but don’t run leads under carpets or rugs.
- Never use an extension lead or electrical items in the bathroom
You can check the socket Overload Calculator and visit Electrical Safety First for more information.