Skip to content
Young family with baby stand on the path outside of their house

How to swap homes

Learn all about how to swap homes, which is also known as mutual exchange.

Swapping homes through a process called mutual exchange can be a great way to find a home that’s more suitable for your needs.

There could be many reasons for wanting to move, with the most common being:

  • for extra space if you have a growing family
  • if your household size has reduced, so you’re paying less
  • to move to a new area and get a home nearer your work, your children’s school, or family
  • to adapt to health changes, such as finding a home with disabled access or without stairs
  • having or giving up a garden. For example, moving to a home with outdoor space, or if you can no longer cope with a garden you could swap to a flat or bungalow.

Mutual exchange

The process to swap homes is called mutual exchange. It means finding someone who’d also like to swap their home for yours.

If you don’t have someone to swap homes with, you can register for House Exchange.

Mutual exchange process:

It takes around 8 weeks for a decision to be made about a mutual exchange.

There are four steps to the mutual exchange process:

House exchange logo

Swap homes using House Exchange

If you want to swap homes, the House Exchange website is the best way to do it.

It features available homes from different housing associations across the UK, not just Clarion.

Registration is free for all Clarion residents, and you can search according to the location, size, and type of home you'd like.

Find out more about House Exchange

Mutual Exchange: FAQs

Below we list the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about mutual exchange - which should cover any queries you have.

Contact us

Chat with us online

Our Virtual Assistant is here to help answer your questions 24/7. Our Live Chat service can put you in touch with one of our trained advisors during our opening hours.


0300 500 8000

Our phone lines are open from 08:30-17:00 Monday to Friday (10:00-17:00 on Wednesdays).