Notification of a death
When a tenant dies there are a number of things to organise. But don’t worry, we’ll work with you to make the process as easy as possible.
To organise everything for you, we’ll need:
- the name of the person who has died
- a copy of their death certificate
- details of any executors or people looking after the deceased person’s estate
- the names of any people still living in the property
- details of anyone who wants to take over the tenancy
- your name, address and contact details.
You can use our simple online form to tell us about a death, or you can phone our customer services team on 0300 500 8000.
Ending a tenancy after a death
A tenant’s death doesn’t automatically end the tenancy, so rent will continue to be due on the property. The deceased person’s estate will be liable for any rent until the tenancy has officially ended. This means it’s important to arrange things as soon as you can to avoid any rent arrears.
To officially end the tenancy, we need:
- written notice of termination
- the property to be vacated
- the keys to be returned.
Find out about death certificates on the government website