Skip to content
A garden featuring yellow wild flowers outside the front of an apartment building

Social housing explained

Learn more about social housing and how you can apply for a home.

How to apply for social housing

There are three ways to apply for our homes:

  • through your local council
  • by transferring from another home
  • by applying to us.

Register with a local council

If you’ve applied to be on the council’s housing register, your local council can nominate you for one of our homes. You’ll usually have to join the council’s waiting list.

Register with your local council:

Transfer from another home

If you’re already one of our social tenants, you can transfer to another home. This is still possible even if you’ve not been offered the chance to renew at the end of your fixed-term tenancy. You can also swap homes with other social housing tenants.

Apply to us directly

Clarion advertises a percentage of its empty homes on Rightmove and Moving Soon. Please visit these sites regularly in order to view new Clarion adverts. You can express your interest in our vacancies via these websites and then submit an application for the property.

Applications will be prioritised and shortlisted in accordance with Clarion’s Allocations Policy [PDF].

Find out more 

Government website:

Shelter housing charity website:

Am I eligible for social housing?

To qualify for our social housing you need to:

  • be 18 or older (or 16 with an adult guaranteeing the rent until you’re 18)
  • be resident in the UK and have the right to rent
  • be nominated by a local council


  • be a Clarion tenant, who by moving makes a home available
  • have no other tenancy, unless you’re giving it up to be rehoused
  • have no legal interest in a UK home – unless you’re selling a home that’s not suitable for you and have less than £85,000 equity
  • have an annual household income under £60,000


  • be assessed by us as being in need of housing.


What size of home can I apply for?

You’re normally allowed one bedroom for every couple or adult aged 16 or older. Two children of the same sex get a shared bedroom; two children of different sexes get a bedroom each if one of them is aged ten or older.

I’ve been here for about six years and I love it. It’s an absolute treat.


LiveSmart resident

Meet Anne – LiveSmart resident

“I previously lived in a big three-bedroom flat, but after my husband died I needed to downsize. I was aware of families struggling and in desperate need to find somewhere with enough space to live.

“I’ve been here for about six years and I love it. It’s an absolute treat. I have lovely neighbours and a gardener who comes once a fortnight. My home is very comfortable and I have photographs of my family all around me. If I have ever had a problem the service has been excellent and been sorted straight away.”

We have 4,624 LiveSmart homes across the country for people aged over 55. Within each scheme, residents have their own homes and can maintain their independence, safe in the knowledge that help and support are available.

Find out more about our LiveSmart homes for older people