Skip to content

Making a complaint

Having an easy way to tell us when you’re unhappy with your service is important. The quicker we know something is wrong, the quicker we can help make things right.

Our priority is to resolve your complaint quickly and thoroughly. We will consider your personal situation, keep you informed throughout the complaints process, and fully explain our decisions or actions.

We consider all complaints individually and will accept them unless there is a valid reason not to do so. In the cases where we do not accept a complaint, we will always explain our reasoning and your right to escalate the issue to the Housing Ombudsman.

What is a complaint?

The official definition of a housing complaint is the expression of dissatisfaction with:

  • the standard of service
  • actions or lack of action by the organisation
  • Clarion staff, or those acting on its behalf
  • issues affecting an individual resident or group of residents

As a customer, you do not need to use the word ‘complaint’ for it to qualify as one. Any complaint submitted via a third party or representative will still be handled in line with our complaints policy.

Any complaint submitted via a third party or representative will be handled in line with our complaints policy, the same as if you submitted it yourself.

What is not defined as a complaint?

There are several areas that are not covered by our complaints policy. They include:

A service request

This is a request from a resident to the landlord (or the organisation working on their behalf) asking for action to be taken to put something right.

It will usually be the first time you have made us aware of any dissatisfaction, and it’s important that we have an opportunity to provide a response or resolve any issues before they’re escalated to a complaint.

Where we are advised that legal action has begun

This is when details of the claims, such as the claim form, have been filed at court.

Complaints about another resident or residents

Please use the Neighbourhood Housing Team for advice on disputes with neighbours.

If your issue relates to anti-social behaviour, we'll manage this with our Anti-Social Behaviour process.

The first reports of anti-social behaviour (ASB) or ongoing nuisance as part of an existing ASB case

Only complaints on our handling of an existing ASB case will be logged as a complaint against Clarion.

Issues related to another procedure

This means any issue with a decision we have made, where there is another procedure to appeal the decision. This includes a dispute about service charge or succession of tenancy.

Feedback about our policies and procedures from customers or other parties is recorded and will form part of future reviews.

Survey feedback may not be treated as a complaint. Where possible, the person completing the survey should be made aware of how they can share their dissatisfaction as a complaint.

Any complaint where the issue that led to the complaint was over 12 months ago

If a complaint is made outside of this timeframe, we will use discretion as to whether we carry it forward.

A complaint regarding Rent reviews as we follow government guidelines

Complaints relating to the setting of service charges that can be referred to the First Tier Tribunal

In this case customers should head here:

Repairs and maintenance complaints

If you’ve raised a repair by telephone, you may have questions about its status.

You can check this – as well as cancelling or changing a repair appointment – quickly and easily using your online account.

Checking your repair status 

How to make a complaint

The easiest way to report your complaint is to click the ‘Make a complaint’ button below. We’ll ask for details of your complaint – please provide as much detail as possible.

Make a complaint

Complaints can also be reported in the following ways:

  • Clarion website:
  • Telephone: 0300 500 8000 – our phone lines are open from 8:30am-5pm Monday to Friday (10am-5pm on Wednesdays)
  • Live Chat via the website: from 8:30am-5pm Monday to Friday (10am-5pm on Wednesdays)
  • Social media – direct messaging us on Facebook & X (formally Twitter)
  • Post – Clarion Housing Group, Reed House, Peachman Way, Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF
  • In person – at a Clarion Hub or to a member of staff or a representative of an organisation working on our behalf.

If you’d like to speak to us further about your complaint or if want more information about our solutions, please call us on 0300 500 8000 or contact us via Live Chat.

Our team is available from 8:30am - 5pm Monday to Friday (10am - 5pm on Wednesdays).

Correspondence to Clarion executives, board members, press office and social media

Any correspondence addressed to Clarion Housing executives, board members, the press office or on social media will be directed to the right team.

If it relates to dissatisfaction, the issue will be investigated as a new complaint or included as further information in an ongoing complaint.

As a first step, we recommend customers send correspondence to our central contact channels. This helps us to understand volumes and spot any trends.

Please note that correspondence to our executives and board members may take longer to filter to the correct place.

A complaint in the form of a petition on behalf of multiple customers will be treated as one complaint. Interactions and correspondence will be directed to the nominated signatory on the petition.

Contacting the Housing Ombudsman

The Housing Ombudsman Service was set up by law to investigate complaints made by residents about housing organisations.

The service helps residents and landlords settle any disputes between them and may carry out an investigation if there is a complicated complaint involving many issues.

The service is free, independent, and impartial, and can give you advice at any stage of the complaints process.

There are several ways you can contact the Housing Ombudsman Service: