Skip to content
Older and younger woman sat at a table at home looking at an iPad tablet together

Home aids and adaptations

Discover what home improvements you could get, ranging from handrails to wheelchair access.

If you’d like changes to your home to help you live more independently or improve your standard of living, there’s a range of home aids or adaptations you can request. These include small aids like handrails and lever taps, all the way up to major improvements like stair lifts and level-access showers.

You can request adaptations to help you with visual impairments, like changing your lighting or surface finishes, or improvements to fire alarms and smoke detectors if you’re hearing impaired.

Once installed, we’ll maintain, repair and service all approved adaptations for you.

Minor adaptations

Common minor home adaptations include:

  • grab rails usually near a bath or toilet
  • handrails – to make stairs and steps safer
  • lever taps – to make it easier to turn taps on and off
  • alert devices – installing or updating alert devices to improve safety (eg fire alarms, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors)
  • visibility improvements – changing the type of lighting, upgrading home access, or improving heating or surface finishes.

We aim to complete minor adaptations within 28 days of receiving the necessary documents.

Major adaptations

Stair lifts

If you have mobility issues, and struggle with the stairs in your property, a stair lift can make a big difference and can enable you to access more areas of your home safely.


Mechanical hoists help to move someone from one position to another, for example helping you get in and out of bed.

Level-access showers

A level-access shower area has no step or lip, making it safer and easier to get in and out if you have mobility issues.

Complex ramping

If you use a wheelchair or other mobility support, a ramp can give you improved access to different levels in your house or building, enabling you to access more areas of your home with confidence.

Wheelchair-accessible spaces

Accessible spaces can be created within your home specifically for people using a wheelchair.

These kinds of home improvements often involve structural changes to your home or building, which means we’ll carry out an asbestos survey if we don’t already have one on file for your property.

Applying for home aids and adaptations

Who can apply?

If you’re a Clarion tenant, you can request home aids and adaptations for yourself. You can also request them if the person needing the improvements is your partner, or an immediate family member, who lives with you permanently.

If you’re a leaseholder or shared owner, you should contact us before making any alterations to your home.

How do I apply?

You first need to contact your local council to get an occupational therapist referral. Your council will arrange for an occupational therapist to visit you at home and identify any adaptations you may need.

The occupational therapist will then send their assessment to us so we can plan the adaptation works. We’ll keep you informed throughout and will arrange a convenient time to carry out the improvements.

For major adaptations, we’ll work with your occupational therapist and local council, and will discuss funding arrangements with them.

For further advice and information about home aids and adaptations, please phone our customer services team on 0300 500 8000.