Register an online account for a chance to win £100
Find out how to stay safe at home – from knowing your emergency evacuation plans to fire, gas and electrical safety tips.
Know your emergency evacuation plan
Plan and practice the escape route from your home. Make sure everyone who lives in, or visits, your home knows how to leave in an emergency.
- The best route is the usual way in and out of your home.
- Plan of a second route in case the first one is blocked.
- Keep door and window keys where they can be found in an emergency.
- Keep balconies clear, so they don’t block your escape.
- Make sure escape routes, communal areas and exits are kept clear.
Home safety tips
DIY safety tips
- Make sure your tools are all in good condition and check their leads and plugs.
- Use a cable detector to avoid drilling, nailing or screwing into cables inside your walls.
- Use a residual current device (RCD) to cut off the power in emergency.
- Turn off the power when working near electrical wiring and use battery-powered tools.
- Get professional advice from a registered electrician: if you’re not sure what to do, don't do it yourself.